Using the dried beans either in the 8 or 15 bean bag soups in the grocery market, wash them off in a colander and then soak them for about four hours on low heat. Drain them and then with fresh water covering the beans by a few inches bring to a boil and simmer for a few hours adding a ham hock or two throwing out the spice package. Once it cooks allow it to cool and then into the refrigerator overnight. Next day back to the stove and allow to cook on low heat for a few hours, remove the ham hock and separate the meat from the fat and bone. Throw the meat into the soup but first using a potato masher, mash the beans several times to thicken the soup. I add garlic salt, pepper, turmeric, ground cumin, to the mix as it cooks and taste often to make sure I do not add too much. This can produce some killer gas so be prepared.
- Public Gives Trump Low Marks for First 100 Days: NBC News/WSJ Poll flip.it/cp_ggs 1 day ago
- The Art of the Dronescape - Atlas Obscura atlasobscura.com/articles/drone… 1 day ago
- Trump Tax Plan Would Shift Trillions From U.S. Coffers to the Richest - The New York Times nytimes.com/2017/04/27/us/… 1 day ago
- What Up With All the Tornadoes So Far This Year? gizmodo.com/what-up-with-a… 2 days ago
- Ivanka Trump Got Jeered in Germany, and Late Night Joins In - The New York Times nytimes.com/2017/04/26/art… 3 days ago
Blogs I Follow